Tuesday 5 February 2013

Safranbolu, Turkey

I saw this card on postcrossing and it was love at first sight, so I contacted Sezen, who kindly agreed to do a swap with me :). I really like the snowy view of the streets of Safranbolu, Turkey. This is my first UNESCO world heritage site postcard and I'm really happy to be able to have it!

The Old Town preserves many old building that were constructed during the Ottoman era. They include 1 private museum, 25 mosques, 5 tombs, 8 historical fountains, 5 Turkish baths, 3 caravanserais, 1 historical clock tower, 1 sundial and hundreds of houses and mansions. Hence it was added to the list of UNESCO World Heritage sites in 1994. I am so tempted to visit this beautiful city!

In the same envelope which she sent me the card, Sezen included a cute Christmas card, which I really like. This adds to my really small collection of Christmas cards! I hope to be able to collect more greeting cards this Christmas so that I can pin them up at home.

The stamps that the cards bore look very beautiful. The one on the left is from a set of 2 issued on 9th June 2012 on the theme of the Istanbul shopping fest. The one on the right is a single stamp issued on 17th May 2012 to commemorate the 60th Anniversary of  The Union of Chambers and Commodity Exchanges of Turkey.

Thank you very much for the wonderful cards and stamps Sezen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your opinions are highly welcomed!